Join North Essex Astronomical Society!
We are one of the larger astronomical societies in the UK with over 200 members. We are also one of the few providing members with access to a full-sized observatory at a dark-sky location. Our members range from beginners, armchair astronomers, visual observers to keen astrophotographers. We are open to all and cover a wide range of interests, knowledge, skills and abilities. Some members are more active than others, but everyone is welcome.
Join Us / RenewOur aim is to be a social and friendly group, catering for anybody with an interest in astronomy – so don’t be scared off if you consider yourself a beginner: everyone is at some point!
If you’ve never been to one of our meetings, we suggest you come along before joining: you can get to meet everyone first, find out what we’re about, and then you will be in a better position to make a decision on becoming a member. We welcome anyone to our public lectures or public stargazing sessions.
Our annual membership fees are £26 per person, £36 per couple/family, £11 for under 16s or full time students. Membership runs for a full twelve months from the date of joining. Our membership system will remind you when you need to renew and also allows you to update your details at any time.
Membership entitles you to:
- access to and full use of our observatory dark site and telescopes
- our monthly Pulsar e-magazine and other email updates about activities and events
- reduced door charge for public meetings
- observing sessions and workshops
- helping out at our many public and private outreach events
- members-only events, meetings, activities, informal trips to the pub and organised meals and curry nights
The £11 Junior Membership for under 16s also entitles the Junior member to free entry to all public meetings (although you must be accompanied by an adult).
How to Join
Join Us / RenewTo join click the Join Us / Renew button. (If for any reason you encounter problems displaying the membership form, please go directly to our secure MemberMojo Membership Page and fill out our secure online form there instead).
Ways you can pay:
- Securely online by Credit/Debit card via PayPal (you don’t need a PayPal account).
- Securely online using funds from your PayPal account if you have one.
- By Bank Transfer if you use online banking. Our bank payment details will be provided as part of the sign-up process.
- By handing the society’s treasurer a cheque or cash at one of our monthly meetings.
You will receive your membership welcome pack by email once your payment has been received and processed.
The society’s constitution can be found here. This document sets out the rules we follow to run the society. All members should read it prior to joining.
All members must agree to abide by the society’s Child & Vulnerable Adult Protection Policy during the membership application or renewal process.
All members must consent to the society’s Data Privacy Statement during the membership application or renewal process.
Please remember that the society is run by volunteers and while we aim to get back to you quickly, we all have real jobs too.